Let’s open with half a minute of unedited gameplay footage.
I’m happy with how things look and work at this stage, although I’m sure I’ll spend a lot of time polishing everything. In particular, I expect to make many small changes when working on sound. What you hear at the beginning are just placeholders, but they give a good taste of the direction I want to go in.
On a less happy note, the Christmas break is over and I don’t have much time to work on checkers. Here’s a graph from GitHub, showing the number of changes in the project (per week?):
Since the previous post, I’ve improved responsiveness, tweaked animations, and made touch sizes and “drag targets” bigger. I have also made debris stay much longer on the board.
On the side invisible to the player, I have started working on a
development panel for switching between board states and tweaking
animations while the game is running. I will write more about this
in the next update. As of today, I have implemented game state
(de)serialization using SwiftyJSON and
little helper I’ve created for dealing with multiple optionals.
That’s all for today. Sign up for a newsletter to get more updates about the project and email me at email@example.com if you want early access to the game.